Monday, July 25, 2011

Decision By Objectives - How to Convinces Others That You Are Right

In this contemplation associated with a management process, I can say I have a lack of experience in executing decision especially  in Crucial Decision Area. I often feel there is something wrong or something not fit yet when I have to decided. As a result I usually feel comfortable to make many scenario with all of its detail but when I face off the compulsion to take a decision/judgment, I have an adversity in it. So I think it is my weakness that to be improved.
At first I have a slightly confused with the starting point to do it. I've known many popular decision making techniques tool both of quantitative and qualitative methods in management. But I think I need something more praticed related with it.

And this is some good tips from "Decision By Objectives - How to Convinces Others That You Are Right" by Ernest H Forman & Mary Ann Selly- 2001;  World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd that I think fit to my needs.
I got areas that I should to developed related to my needs according to this book are :

  • Prioritize
  • Evaluate alternatives
  • Allocate resources
  • Deliver powerful presentations
  • Justify/defend recommendations
  • Make meetings more effective
  • Improve communications
  • Achieve consensus
  • Eliminate fifty percent of your business worries

And I've learned too there are common mistakes when making crucial decisions:
  1. Gathering information and reaching conclusions without thinking about the crux of the issue or how decisions like this one shouldbe made
  2. Setting out to solve the wrong problem because your framework causes you to overlook attractive options or lose sight of important objectives
  3. Failing to define the problem in more ways than one, or being unduly influenced by the frames of others
  4. Failing to collect key factual information because of overconfidence in your assumptions and opinions
  5. Relying on 'rules of thumb' for crucial decisions, or on the most readily available information
  6. Trying to keep straight in your head all the information relating to the decision rather than relying on a systematic procedure
  7. Assuming that a group of smart people will automatically make a good decision even without a good decision process
  8. Failing to leam from evidence of past outcomes either because you are protecting your ego or because you are tricked by hindsight
  9. Assuming that experience will make lessons available automatically
  10. Failing to create an organized approach to understanding your own decision process  
That's I got a hindsight to improve my lack in decision making....eventhough there are still many things to learn and do, at least I have a driven factor to do it..... 

2 comments:

  1. Very resourceful, a must read. Will share it with my husband! It's very insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks, Saru...I still have a bunch of works to do it...^^

    ReplyDelete